Katie Baker's Blog of Inquiry

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Contemplating

1. What search approach have I taken? Has it been successful? – I started with the Internet becuase I had found a great website through the Tufts web page. Through it I found many other websites that had a lot of information that was useful for my project. I feel that it has been successful because I have information that will answer many of my questions I had about good nutrition and weight management.
2. What search terms did I use? What was the most effective?- I haven’t used any search terms yet in this stage. All of the websites have come from the Tufts websites, Nutrition Navigator. To find the Nutrition Navigator before I started this project, I searched for “good nutrition” in Google.
3. What types of information do I have? - I have lots of different types. I have a lot of researched facts from the USDA and MayoClinic. I have opinions that came from primary sources. I have gained multiple perspectives from all of these sources.
4. What formats of information did I use? – Since I went on my printing frenzy, the majority of my sources are in print format now, but came from web pages, with some from magazines. I have several tables, charts, and graphs from the USDA and MayoClinc as well as a live interview.
5. What have I learned? – I have learned a lot of great information. Through scanning and skimming, there are some key ideas that stick in my mind:
a. always try to eat whole grains, they are a good source of fiber.
b. A balanced meal comes from the food pyramid
c. Calories is what causes you to gain and loose weight. I need to find a balance in the number of calories I consume in to the number that I burn off in a day.