Katie Baker's Blog of Inquiry

Monday, February 07, 2005

I have finally found my topic!

I have been thinking for a while about this, and it has actually been a weight on my shoulders. I just didn't know what I wanted to do for my project. I also am understanding that as a procrastinator, I am starting to fall behind in this, which is also causing the weight to increase. But, alas, I have finally decided what my overarching theme will be for this project. To keep the suspense high, I will outline how my decision was made:

  • Conversation at lunch: I was explaining to some teachers at lunch about this project and they were interested in what my topic was going to be. I explained my two choices, Nutrition and Landscaping. The conversation started with landscaping becuase their eyebrows rose so I had to explain the whole situation of Brent and I redoing our deck and backyard this spring. The conversation quickly turned to nutrition and one of my coworkers started to tell a story about someone who went to see a nutritionist and they did all sorts of blood work to help work up a nutrition plan for her body. It seemed to work for her. Then another coworked chimed in about his mother-in-law and how she took a class at a hospital? that taught her what types of meat to get, how to shop in a grocery store, and general nutrition guidlines. This really peaked my interest beucase one of my biggest questions for eating well is how to shop in a grocery store. So, overall, the conversation really focused on nutrition.
  • My revertion to old ways: in my last blog entry, I talked about how I quickly ran onto the Internet to see what was out there, started printing, and found myselft with great websites, but not at all organized and focused yet. However, thinking about my topics, I immediatly jumped right into Nutrition without even realizing it. I started reading quickly and taking everything...I was very interested. I don't think I even looked at landscaping to tell the truth! Anyways, as I said, I started to make a web of ideas/questions that I had for each topic, and once again, I started with Nutrition.

Therefore, it seems like unconsiously I am quickly jumping into Nutrition without giving Landscaping another thought! Furthermore, whenever I have been thinking about this project (in the car, trying to fall asleep, when I should be doing other things), it has always been about nutrition. Therefore, I have decided to follow my mind's "gut feeling" and go with Nutrition. I think that I have a great interest in it and the application of what I learned will far outweigh the short-term application of Landscaping. Although this is a short-term project, I feel that if I don't follow what is really interesting to me, then I will procrastinate even more, as well as be always thinking about Nutrition when I should be focusing on Landscaping.

Topic: Nutrition

Plan of Action: Move into the Wondering stage and do some brainstorming about it to get a more narrow and applicable focus.

...Ciao Cow (from a student's mouth)